During the last decades there has been a change towards mechanization and homogenization of farming, which uses pesticides, additives, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers and mass-production techniques. All this is clearly affecting mankind's health, and new diseases are spreading rapidly amongst humans and animals.
The World Health Organization produces reports to show how the use of chemicals and other products on food, coupled with the manufacturing processes involved, are actually a threat for our health. Here is a copy of the dirty dozen list for 2020. The dirty dozen list is a list made every year listing the highest to lowest pesticide/herbicide usage in the produce.
If you have space for a few pots, a tower garden or even a small piece of land, it is a great decision to grow your own organic vegetable garden.
Here are some reasons why you should plant your own veggies!
1. You will have no additives in your vegetables. Research by organic food associations has shown that additives in our food can cause several different health issues. It could contribute to heart diseases, osteoporosis, migraines and hyperactivity.
2. There will be no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers used. These chemical products are applied to obtain crops all the time regardless of plagues or weather conditions, and affect the quality of the vegetables. Besides, pesticides are usually poisonous to humans.
3. Your vegetables will not be genetically modified (GM). One of the consequences of this practice are vegetables which look all the same and are usually tasteless. Besides, we end up consuming the chemicals that have been used on the vegetables, with the potential risks for our health.
4. Eating your own organic vegetables will be much more healthy for you. They will not contain any of the products or chemicals named above, and they will be much more natural than any ones you would find at the supermarket. Your health will not be at risk because you will then know that nothing has been added to your vegetables.
5. Your own organic vegetables will be much more tasty. The use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, and herbicides make vegetables grow unnaturally and take the taste away from them. With organic vegetables, your cooking will be enhanced as their flavour will show fully.
6. Organic farming is friendly to the environment. Because you won't use pesticides or other equally harming products on your vegetables, you will not damage the soil or the air with the chemical components.
7. When you grow your own organic vegetables you are contributing to your own self-sustainability and the sustainability of the planet. Small communities have been founded where members exchange products that they grow naturally, thus contributing to create a friendly and better place for us all.
In the end, eating organic products only means that we do not add anything else to them than they would naturally have. As you can guess, additives, fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides are not components of naturally grown food.
To better care for your health, grow your own organic vegetables -and a few pots is all you need.
Do not have lots of space in your home? If you have 24" you can grow healthy vegetables with no pesticides and herbicides. Try and aeroponic garden. This is the one I have and it is absolutely amazing!! It grows up to 20 plants, it grows three times as fast, it is environmentally friendly as it uses minimal power, and recycles the water in the unit, uses 90% less water and space and best of all NO WEEDS!